Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Signs of "spring"

Here are the signs of "spring" that I have seen in the last 24 hours:
  • High today of over 60 degrees. It was 50 before the sun rose. (Also extremely windy).
  • Dead skunk on the side of the road. Notable because it means the skunk was up and about. If I were a dormant animal, this is the week I would choose to wake up and look around, too!
  • Found a beetle outside, nowhere near a building. I think it is in for a sorry surprise.
  • Geese flying north. of course, geese over-winter here now, so this doesn't actually mean what it did when Aldo Leopold wrote ...."A chipmunk, emerging for a sunbath but finding a blizzard, has only to go back to bed. But a migrating goose, staking 200 miles of black night on the chance of finding a hole in the lake, has no easy chance for retreat. His arrival carries the conviction of a prophet who has burned his bridges." and "One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring."
  • Goldfinches, still in their winter wardrobe, are more active this morning than I have seen them in a while. A lot of birds are out and about, actually, but I'm not a good enough birder to determine many of their identities. I know I haven't seen a robin yet...
  • Kids are out and about without jackets, and it is sloppy-muddy outside.
Everyone is acting a bit twitterpated, but I fear we're in for a shocking blow when the mercury falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment