Friday, January 13, 2012

Snow Shapes

A new type of Snowbird
While walking outside this morning, I came across a new type of snowbird.  This one doesn't head to the sun belt for the winter; indeed, it thrives in cold winters.  (I don't know who put this little snowfellow up in the tree, but it made me giggle this morning, so I thought I'd share it with the world.)

Ripples in the Snow







The other remarkable thing about our snowy world this morning was the beautiful wave patterns that the wind created on the snow's surface.  Solid water, reminiscent of liquid...

All told, by the way, I think we got about 4 inches of snow?  It's hard to tell because the high winds and dropping temperatures made for dry snow that blew everywhere, so there are places with exposed ground and others with huge drifts.  I'm thinking 4 is about average, but I didn't research it.  Not a terrible storm but we've got a white world for at least a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment