Saturday, August 22, 2009

Coneflower Study


In the beginning of the school year, I have the pleasure of starting classes with their year of nature journaling. This means I get to go out and journal up to three times a day... never is my nature journal so full as late August. I do love doing it -- it's a lucky way to get paid to spend a day -- although sometimes, by the third time in a day, it gets hard to be inspired to actually write or draw. I should have this complaint in three weeks, when I will be too busy to find the time even on my own!

Here is what I wrote under this coneflower sketch:
Despite the plant's name, it is the red and orange that are the really striking colors in a purple coneflower. The disc flowers are bright orange with red tips, and the sun shines through them. When it catches them just right they look as though they were glowing with fire... as though the plant had a halo.





And next to this coneflower:
In the strong wind [yesterday's weather was crazy. Very
windy, which made the clouds move fast. One minute, it was bright and sunny, the next ominously cloudy and grey. And back and forth again. Now let's start over]
In the strong wind, the hanging petals of the yellow coneflowers flop around, twisting and turning. They look precariously attached; I expect them to blow away like fallen leaves on a windy day, but none do. The stems strain to remain upright, leaning on each other.

Other observations of the day:
  • Many grasshoppers all over the place, like the grass itself was jumping.
  • Goldfinches are active and vocal and all over the place... and starting to turn a drabber shade of yellow.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty nice sketches. You've inspired me to go out and sketch some of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Naomi,

    Nature journaling is a lot of fun. I enjoyed your sketches. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete