Friday, September 11, 2015

Golden Opportunity

I started sketching this Canada goldenrod, figuring it was by far the most common flower blooming right now and it would be remiss to choose something else.  I almost immediately regretted it.  Seriously? It would take hours, and probably considerably more skill than I possess, to capture all the detail... The stem branches off numerous times in every direction, and each branch contains multitudes of individual flowers.  The top ones are in full bloom, the lower branches contain yellow-green buds.  At any rate, I tried to rescue the experience by drawing one tiny flower as seen through my 10x magnification jewelers' loupe, and I also studied the leaf venation that way... a fascinating net not really discernible without a lens.  
PS -- Today is the coolest day since summer began back in June, with highs in the low 60s.  But fear not, fellow lovers of sun, short sleeves and Indian summers, we are predicted too be back in the 80s next week!  Still, this made for quite a change this afternoon.  There's an eerie silence/stillness... even though there are plenty of noises -- wind and cars, airplanes and goldfinches... but the cicadas are conspicuously quiet.  It actually took me a few minutes to realize what it was, but it's so obviously different without that constant drone in the backgrouns.  Being cold-blooded and all, they like it to be in the 70s or hotter to make noise. I'll expect them back next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment