Saturday, June 4, 2016

Pretty Prairie

I thought this photo showed just how lovely the prairie is at the beginning of June.  
The cast of characters is changing... shooting star has left the stage.  As you can see above, spiderwort and indigo have become numerous and prominent.  

In addition to the foxglove beardtongue pictured earlier in the week, other new flowers include wild quinine, shown here:
This I think is a smooth phlox, which was blooming last week but I didn't include a photo.  I said "I think" because I don't think phloxes usually have those pretty spots around the center, but I can't figure out what else it would be.
This flower is a mystery to me.  I spent a while with guide books, and Chris with a computer, and we didn't figure it out.  Might be we could with the actual plant, but with only a photo, no luck. 
I saw this huge snapper laying eggs.  And when I say I saw it, I mean, I actually saw the white, golf-ball sized eggs dropping from her body into the hole she dug.  It was really cool.  Unfortunately, my trigger finger doesn't have the luck or skillful timing to catch that in the photo. 




1 comment:

  1. Naomi. Great post, and cool about the turtle and her eggs!! I thought of you and your phenology focus when a friend gave me a book called Thoreau's Wildflowers today. He was a definite, deliberate phenologist!!
    Katherine, www.fpnaturalist.com

    ReplyDelete