Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Mayflies Turn into Junebugs (Kankakee River Part 2)

I spent three more days down south in Kankakee River State Park.  Not a lot had changed, but, as the title jokingly suggests, I saw a lot fewer mayflies (and more junebugs, although in this instance that means I saw one).  Here's some of the other things I discovered... 
As at home, the foxglove beardtongue is making its floral debut, with the first pinkish blooms opening. 
Kankakee River has a lot of butterflies.  I saw painted ladies and monarchs, blues, ones I didn't recognize without the aid of a book, and this lovely swallowtail.  It's about as large as my  hand.  I had to take about 25 pictures before I finally got this one, as it was not sitting at all still!
I first noticed these yellow irises at home on Saturday, 5/30, but this one is the first I have photographed.  While these wetland flowers are quite lovely, they are not native irises, but rather garden escapees.  
We saw many turtles on this trip.  This one, away from the river, was quite large.  
Last week's black raspberry flower becomes this week's tiny green raspberry.
A crazy stinkhorn!
Lichen and moss growing together on a rock cliff.  Perhaps not phenologically significant, but I do love these nonvascular plants (or, fungi+algae, in the case of lichens) and their ability to grow right out of a rock.  
And speaking of growing right out of rocks -- this fern has found itself a cliffside home, as well.  Pretty impressive, if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment