Tuesday, August 25, 2015

I Love to Learn Something New!

It's not often, to be honest, that I run across a flower that I just don't know.  I mean, sometimes I have that "oh, I know that one but I can't remember the name," tip-of-the-tongue type of reaction, but I know that at some point I knew the name of that plant.  It's familiar to me, even if it's identity eludes me.  But today I came across the lovely little pinky-purple blooms pictured below and I had no idea what they were... a plant mystery!  (Happy day!)  A brief description: the photo may not communicate their diminutive size -- the plants are less than 2 feet tall, and the flowers themselves less than 1/2 inch.  They were almost hidden among the other prairie plants, though they were living in a spot with shorter neighbors... also, notably, about 2 feet from the pond edge.  The opposite leaves are slender and linear in shape.  Flowers (or their white little buds) come off right from the leaf axils on very thin stalks.  They are irregular in shape, with 5 spotted petals, very much like a foxglove, which makes sense because... my mystery plant is a Slender False Foxglove (Agalinis tenuifolia)!  YEA!  I learned something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment