Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Sawtooth Sunflower

Sawtooth sunflowers are starting to bloom.. though they have a very long flowering range, quite a few are open.  I don't think they've hit peak yet and I expect to see them at least until October.  What sets these apart from other DYCs* is their odor.  Since I was just a young nature nerd, I've been told by naturalists that they smell like chocolate.  Now, there are a few possibilities here.  Maybe I, or they, have bad senses of smell.  Maybe they were just repeating what they'd been told, as I am admittedly doing here.  Maybe these fine folks spent so much time being nature nerds that they didn't cook.  I don't know.  But I definitely don't smell chocolate.  The plants do have a distinct odor, not quite sure how to describe it... (actually, that's the fourth and likely correct option -- we just don't have very good vocabularies of smell.  If it's not "like something else" we can't capture it...)  At any rate.  Sawtooth sunflowers! 

*that's, um... "darn yellow composites"

No comments:

Post a Comment