Tuesday, April 28, 2009

List of lists

Bird Sightings Today (I had two classes out birding today, for a total of about 2.5 hours actual birding time.  This is what we saw):
yellow-rumped warbler (yeah, I'm starting with the most impressive-sounding)
common tern
unidentifiable brown diving duck
mallard duck
Canada goose
swan
sandpiper (the most common kind, I'm sure)
killdeer
RWBB
brown-headed cow bird
red-tailed hawk
turkey vulture
robin
mourning dove
goldfinch
house sparrow
tree swallow
starling

Notable leaf outs: 
American hazel
2 crazy maples at school that are ahead of the rest
chokeberry

Really swollen buds:
oaks

First flowers:
service berry
a few other ornamental flowering bushes I didn't stop to ID

Almost theres:
redbud
crab apple
bluebells
trillium
wild strawberry

Also notable:
my shooting stars have flower buds -- they are going to flower!  Success!
my queen of the prairie is going nuts

Seeds:
elm

Garden emergences:
carrots
lettuce
snap peas (over the weekend)
(spinach and radishes also progressing nicely)

I took photos of most of this, but decided there were too many to download...

And a sad, totally non-phenological tragedy (except as it relates to weather):
The winds must have been strong today.  I had a lovely [expensive] glass windchime that I got in Boulder a few summer ago.  Over the winter it lives in the kitchen, and when it's warm enough I put it on the porch.  It went out last weekend (along with the glass mushrooms).  Today I came home and found the string broken and the colorful glass plates shattered all over the deck.  So sad.  I guess I am in the market for a new windchime.  

No comments:

Post a Comment