Saturday, May 30, 2009

Kreepy Krawlie Kritters of Kankakee River

Kankakee River State Park was filled with exciting invertebrate life.  I wasn't able to photograph all of the cool bugs I saw due to
a) lack of time, mainly because of the 40 students that didn't want to constantly wait while I took pictures;
b) lack of photographic equipment -- or sometimes total absence, as in the instance when a kid found an awesome bright green shield bug and my camera was back in my tent; and
c) the fact that the bugs sometimes don't cooperate, and move or fly away.  So selfish.  
But here's some of the stuff I did get pictures of: 
a caterpillar
a cricket
a lacewing
a mayfly
a mayfly (again, because I thought the bright yellow was cool, so I took pictures of 2 mayflies).
a crayfish (or crawdad, if you're from the south)
some sort of aquatic true bug
mollusks.  The river and creek were filled with mollusks -- including some shells that were about 6 inches across.  And also spirally gastropods.  Many shells.  
a terrestrial snail, about 1 inch big
an inchworm, that was so bright I wouldn't be surprised if he glowed in the dark.  I remember the first time I saw a glow worm, I was amazed that a caterpillar could actually glow like that.  They are unearthly.  Also, we saw the first fireflies that I've seen this year (though notably, about 80 miles south of where I live).  
spittlebug spittle.

No comments:

Post a Comment