Friday, May 1, 2009

May Day

Serviceberry flowers.
I quite enjoy this time of year, when many trees turn white with flower petals, and then eventually they fall like snow, creating a delicate white carpet below their former branches.  But that is getting ahead of myself... 

Mertensia have opened up.  These flowers, along with lily of the valley, used to grow at my grandparents' house when I was small.  My granny was a plant person; she had a little greenhouse window for indoor plants and a yard with a garden and a little woodland area.  Still I think of her when I see bluebells (and of my mom when the lilies of the valley bloom).






First uvularia opened up today (and already one petal is broken!)  I have several bellworts in the yard and this is the only one close to flowering.  Another mystery.  Same with the wild strawberry... most buds are still closed; this one decided to open up early!


No comments:

Post a Comment